СОЦИОЛОГИЯ. ПОЛИТОЛОГИЯ. МЕЖДУНАРОДНЫЕ ОТНОШЕНИЯ
RUSSIA AND EUROPE: CHANGING THE RULES OF THE GAME
The changing relations between “Europe” and Russia remind us of a Greek drama. In particular the way in which the rules of their bilateral relations developed since the implosion of the Soviet Union (at the end of 1991) , leaves us with the sad feeling of an unavoidable tragedy. At the beginning of their new-born relationship, both partners were fulfilled with hope and curiosity. Nobody could foresee how the story would develop. In the middle of the play, several “changings of the plot” drove the story to an unexpected end. The article provides an analysis of how the enlargement of NATO and the EU has negatively affected the relations between Russia and Europe. The study pays special attention to Russia's role in creation of the Eurasian Economic Union. It also demonstrates how the establishment of this union has brought fresh perspective to the relations between the EU and Russia.
International Relations, European Studies, Rule of Law, European Enlargement, Eastern Partnership, Russian Constitutional Court, Sanctions
- A Russian view on the Eastern Partnership, Clingendael, https://www.clingendael.nl/publication
- Burkov A., The Impact of the European Convention on Human Rights on Russian Courts, Columbia University press, 2007, 475 p.
- Commission Report with a proposal for a European Parliament Recommendation to the Council on EU-Russia relations, Final a5-0053/2004, 2 February 2004.
- “Common Strategy of the European Union of June 1999 on Russia”, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/ doclib/docs/2003/november/tradoc_114137.pdf.
- Communication of the Commission to the Council and European Parliament on Relations with Russia, COM(2004) 106, 9 February 2004.
- Duleba A., “EU-Russia Relations: the State of Affairs” in: Searching for a New Moment in EU-Russia Relations, Research Center of the Slovak Foreign Policy Association, Bratislava 2009.
- Eastern Partnership: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/eastern-partnership/
- ECHR: Case Konstantin Markin v. Russia (application no. 30078/06), Strasbourg, 22 March 2012: echrrussia.blogspot.com/2012/08/Konstantin-markin-threw-military-court
- Emerson M., “EU-Russia-Four Common Spaces and the proliferation of the Fuzzy”, CEPS Policy Briefs, 2005, Issue 1_12.
- Esakova N., European Energy Security: Analysing the EU-Russia Energy Security Regime in Terms of Interdependence Theory, Springer Books, Wiesbaden, Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, 2012, 275 p.
- EU/Russia: The Four Common Spaces. Memo/04/268, Brussels, 23 November 2004.
- European Commission for Democracy Through Law (Venice Commission): Russian Federation Final opinion on the amendments to the federal Constitutional law on the Constitutional Court, adopted at its 107th Plenary Session (Venice, 10-11 June 2016): www.venice.coe.int/documents
- European Court of Human Rights, Case Anchugov and Gladkov versus Russia, applications nos. 11157/04 and 15162/05, Strasbourg, 4 July 2013. Marina Aksenova, “Anchugov and Gladkov is not enforceable: the Russian Constitutional Court Opines in its First ECtHR Implementation Case”, Opiniojuris.org/2016/04/25/anchugov-and-gladkov.
- European Neighbourhood Policy website: http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/policy_en.htm
- Fukuyama F, The End of History and the Last Man, London, Penguin Books, 1992.
- Haukkala H., “The Relevance of Norms and Values in the EU’s Russia Policy”, UPI Working Papers 52, 2005. 22 p.
- Haukkala H., “Explaining Russian Reactions to the European Neighbourhood Policy”, The Institute for European Studies, www.iesbe/documents/JMCdepository Implementation of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms in Russian Courts”, 1 Russian Law: Theory and Practice 68, 71. 2006.
- Judgement of the Constitutional Court of April 19. 2016 #12-P “On the Case of the Resolution on the Possibility to Implement the Judgment of the European Court for Human Rights in Accordance with the Constitution of the Russian Federation” of July 4, 2013 on the case “Anchugov and Gladkov v. Russia” in connection with the Request of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation. Available at: http://www.consultant.ru/document/ cons_doc_LAW_197028.
- Judgment of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation of 19.01.2017 # 1-P “On the Case about the Resolution of the Issue of the Possibility to implement the Judgment of the European Court for Human Rights of July 31, 2014 in accordance with the Constitution of the Russian Federation in the case of OAO “Oil Company “YUKOS” v. Russia” in connection with the request of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation”. Available at: http://www.consultant.ru/doccument/cons_doc_LAW_211287
- Kozyrev A., “The Lagging Partnership”, Foreign Affairs, Vol.73, #3 (May-June 1994).
- Lapitskaya J., “ECHR, Russia and Chechnya”, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, nyujilp.org/43.2-Lapitskaya.pdf.
- Libman A. and Evgeny Vinokurov E., Holding-Together Regionalism: Twenty Years of Post-Soviet Integration, Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, 273 p.
- Magnitski Act: S.1039 (112th) US Senate: Sergej Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012, https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1039/text.
- Malfliet K., “The European Union and Russia: Towards a Common Strategy?”, Chair Interbrew-Baillet Latour Working Papers, 2015, 23 p.
- Milczarek D., Eastern Dimension of the EU”s Foreign Policy, www.ce.uw.edu.pl/pliki/pw/1-milczarek_eastern%20EU-n.pdf.
- On the amendment to the law on the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation of 14 December 2015: Medvedev, D., “Rossiia ne pozvolyaet ECtHR vinisit resheniai menyaushchie zakoni” (Russia will not allow the ECtHR to enact judgements that change its laws). Available at: http://ria.ru/politics/20101211/307384165.html.
- On the Russian reaction to Markin I: Grigiry Vaypan, “Acquiescence Affirmed, its Limits Left Undefined: the Markin Judgment and the Pragmatism of the Russian Constitutional Court vis à vis the European Court of Human Rights”, Russian Law Journal, Volume II. 2014, issue 3.
- Partnership and Cooperation Agreement with Russia: http://europa.eu.int/comm/external_relations/ceeca/pca/ pca_russia.pdf.
- Peeters A., “Supremacy Lost: International Law meets Domestic Constitutional Law”, Vienna Online Journal on International Constitutional Law. 2009, vol.3.
- Pollicino O., “Enlargement of Europe: Towards a Unitary Theory of Jurisprudential Supranational Law?” Yearbook of European Law, Volume 29, Issue1, 1 January 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/yel/29.1.65.
- Provost R., “Teetering on the Edge of Legal Nihilism: Russia and the Evolving European Human Rights Regime”, Human Rights Quarterly 37, 2015.
- Pushkov A., “Primakov Doctrine and a New European Order”, International Affairs Vol.44, n°2, 1998.
- Rettman A., EU and Russia Tackle Thorny Issues at Samara Summit, 18 May 2007. https://euobserver.com/foreign.
- Sedelmeier U., “After Conditionality, Post-Accession Compliance with EU Law in East Central Europe, Journal of European Public Policy, 1 September 2008, vol. 15 (6).
- “Strategiia razvitiia otnoshenii Rossiiskoj Federatsii s Jevropeiskim Soiuzom na srednedsrochnuiu perspektivu (2000-2010)”, (3 June 2000); Unofficial translation: Medium-Term Strategy for the Development of Relations between the Russian Federation and the European Union (2000-2010) http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/external_relations/ russia/russian_medium_term_strategy/index.htm.
- Tereshkova V., “The Meaning and Operation of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and the Judgements of the European Court for Human Rights in the Legal System of the Russian Federation”, Journal of Siberian Federal University, Humanities and Social Sciences, 6 (2017, 10). www.ksrf.ru/en/decision/../2016_April 19_12-P.pdf.
- “The Russian Constitutional Court and its Actual Control over the ECtHR judgement in Anchugov and Gladkov”, European Journal of International Law, note published on April 26, 2016, http://www.ejiltalk.org/the-russian-constitutional-court-and..
- Treaty of Amsterdam, full text: www.europarl.europa.eu/pdf/amst-en.
- “Vystuplenie i diskussiia na Munchenskoi konferentsii po voprosam politiki bezopasnosti 10 February 2007, www.kremlin.ru.
- “Vystuplenie v universitete Chel’sinki i otvety na voprosy auditorii (20 April 2009), www.kremlin.ru
- www.ksrf.ru/en/decision/../2016_April 19_12-P.pdf.
- Zorkin V., “An Apologia of the Westphalian System”, Russia in Global Affairs, 2004, nr. 3, http://eng.globalaffairs.ru/number/n_3371.